Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Meaning of The Season

I wrote a post about not letting people take away the true meaning of Christmas, and tonight, on Yahoo news I came across this story about secret santas. This was EXACTLY the kind of thing I was referring to when I said we could all give of ourselves this holiday season. We might not have $100 bills to hand out, but as the article points out we can give a kind word, make a small gesture and simply pass on some hope to someone who needs it. I felt better about our world when reading this article and I hope it will inspire others to do what they can for others, not only at Christmas, but throughout the year. I can't tell you how many times in my own life someone has done something for me that helped me see God's love, right at the moment I needed it. I try to return the favor whenever I can. One by one, we have the power to make this a better world. We can't solve all the problems, but we can learn to look at one another as friends, neighbors and brothers, and once we do that, we cannot look away from the problems. It's the first step. . .

3 comments:

Daisy said...

I think it is the small things that really matter. Everybuddy can do some small thing, and it all adds up! For Christmas, my Mommie buys a case of extra-good canned cat food so the cats at the shelter can have good foods for the holidays.

Renee said...

THis is so true..each of us can fine a small way to express Christmas and its meaning. Over Thanksgiving our grandchildren decorated and signed Christmas cards that we then sent off to Holiday for heroes for the soldiers.The grandkids are age 10 down to 3 that helped. They enjoyed helping so much and were so proud of their accomplishments and being able to tell the soldiers they were praying for them, etc. and I know the soldiers will enjoy getting the cards.
We have so many memories of blessings we have recieved over the years. Just over Thanksgiving my daughter in law and son gave me her laptop comuter. What a surprise ~ this gift is giving me the chance to be online from my recliner. We have also received notes of appreciation that have deep special meaning.
I love your thoughts on making this a better world.
Renee

One Mom said...

My goodness but we were thinking along the same lines as we blogged! Check out my blog for ideas on other random acts of kindness. Everyone can do this and bless someone else!