Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wordless Wednesday - Seminary Finds


All of today's photo's were taken at Immaculate Conception Seminary located in Lloyds Neck, NY. This Seminary had been training Catholic Diocesan priests for over 75 years. It is is situated on the famous "Gold Coast" of Long Island on land that comprised two family estates back in the "Gatsby" days. Hand painted fresco's abound throughout the space. This particular one is located above the door leading into and out of the crypt chapel.





Showing some of the intricate hand painting on the ceiling in the crypt chapel.



This is one of the stalls located in the crypt chapel. Each one is dedicated to a particular saint. The priests say private Mass in the stalls.



This beautiful rose window is hand made stained glass. It is located in the main chapel over the choir loft.



The artwork is phenomenal as the picture above shows.






18 comments:

Mojo said...

Pssst. "Wordless" means, umm... well, you know. *wink*

Glad to see you back, and with an impressive collection of eye candy too! I especially love the window shot.

fraizerbaz said...

I always love these kinds of shots!

Daisy said...

Those are really beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Great photography.

Dottie

Corey~living and loving said...

lovely photos. what a pretty place to visit! :)
happy Wordless wednesday!

photomommy said...

Lovely photos. :) Thanks for visiting my site.

Carver said...

These are wonderful shots. So very beautiful. Good to see you back.

DNLee said...

I've always loved stained glass and church/mosque art. I have some recent photos from a church from the same Chicago visit that yielded those wintergreen pictures. I need to find a way to share those photos of things that are unrelated to my blog's theme.

Happy WW

jams o donnell said...

What a beautiful seminary. Happy WW

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful pictures :)

Becky said...

That stained glass window is beautiful!

Dragonfly Kisses said...

Those are really pretty!

The phone booth in my WW photo is in Solvang, California.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing and for coming by my blog! It was a pity I missed this when I was in New York a couple of years back. Will definitely be in my book of consideration when I go back.

Aly @ Lip Zip said...

I love pictures like these! Thanks for the explanation to go along with them.

Anonymous said...

Church art really is so beautiful. It makes you feel the presence of God.

Tink *~*~* said...

I love the rose window - I bet when the sun shines through, it throws pretty colors on the floor.

Tink *~*~*

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos.

Shannon said...

Spectacular! Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures and thanks for visiting cyberbones and have a great week!